Listen to This Information
Symptoms and Facts
Symptoms vary with the different types of muscular dystrophy.
All of the muscles may be affected. Or, only specific groups of muscles may be affected, such as those around the pelvis, shoulder, or face. Muscular dystrophy can affect adults, but the more severe forms tend to occur in early childhood.
- Mental retardation (only present in some types of the condition)
- Muscle weakness that slowly gets worse
- Delayed development of muscle motor skills
- Difficulty using one or more muscle groups
- Eyelid drooping (ptosis)
- Frequent falls
- Problems walking (delayed walking)