Shipping On Order Over $200
Satisfaction Guarantee
Huge Online Selection

All About CPAP

All About CPAP

On this page we'll be talking about what a CPAP machine does and how one may help you sleep.



Welcome to our blog about CPAP! On this page we'll be talking about what a CPAP machine does and how one may help you sleep. We'll also talk about using insurance to pay for a sleep apnea treatment as well as answer some frequently asked questions. We hope you enjoy!



What Is CPAP?

CPAP stands for continuous positive airway pressure and it is the most commonly prescribed treatment for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS or just OSA). OSA prevents you from achieving REM sleep by interrupting your breathing. This happens when your airways close or collapse for a brief amount of time which causes you to wake up due to the loss of a consistent supply of oxygen.

This can be prevented by a continuous flow of oxygen that's sent through your nose and mouth while you sleep. A CPAP machine keeps your airways open which allows you to breathe normally throughout the night and achieve uninterrupted sleep.

CPAP

A CPAP machine has a compressor that generates pressurized air which travels through a filter and into a tube attached to the device. That air is then sent through the tube and into a mask that has been sealed around your mouth and nose. With this device running all night, it eliminates any possibility for your airways to close and as a result, prevents you from waking up during the night.



Types of Machines

Machine

There's three different types of CPAP machines: CPAP, BiPAP, and APAP. We've already discussed what CPAP is so let's talk about the others and how they compare to CPAP.

BiPAP stands for Bi-level positive airflow pressure. BiPAP machines have two pressure settings instead of one like CPAP machines. One pressure for inhaling and a lower pressure for exhaling. This is helpful for people that have a harder time exhaling through the continuous pressure of a CPAP machine. BiPAP machines can also help people with elevated levels of carbon dioxide in their blood.

APAP stands for automatic positive airway pressure. These devices monitor your breathing throughout the night and automatically adjust its pressure to accommodate changes in your sleep position or even medications that could have changed your breathing.



Insurance

Having insurance which covers treatment that you need is wonderful. It takes away a lot of the stress one may have when it comes to actually purchasing DME. CPAP is no exception. Without insurance, you can expect to pay anywhere between $500 and $3,000. Fortunately, Medicare can cover a good majority of that cost.

With Medicare Part B and a diagnosis from an approved Medicare provider, you can expect Medicare to cover 80% of the cost of your CPAP machine. You'll still have to pay your deductible and the remaining 20% regardless of whether you're renting or purchasing.

Medicare

If you have enrolled in a Medicare Part C plan, you may want to check your plan's details or guidelines for renting or purchasing durable medical equipment such as CPAP machines.



CPAP machines help millions of people stay asleep every night! If you enjoyed this blog or learned something new, let us know down in the comments. We'd love to hear from you! We hope this information has been helpful, but if you still need more information you can call us or come into one of our stores today!



Our Business Is Your Good Health

Comments

Be the first to comment...

Leave a comment
* Your email address will not be published